Monday, May 30, 2011

summer reading

Summer reading has begun and I am so excited I decided to share my list with y'all.  If you have any recommendations for me to add to the list, do let me know!  I will have lots of down time to read this summer (I'm smiling really big right now :)  What's on your summer reading list?

I started this summer with Gabriel Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera.  I have been wanting to read this one for a while.  I'm about half-way through and am LOVING it.  This is one of those books where after every single sentence I have to stop and reflect on the beauty of that sentence.  I read One Hundred Years of Solitude a few years ago, and in high school I translated several of Marquez's short stories from Spanish to English.  I think it's safe to say he is one of my favorite authors.  Ever.
Next on my list to read is my signed edition of Yann Martel's newest, Beatrice and Virgil.  I really enjoyed Life of Pi, so I am looking forward to this one.
 Who doesn't like Fitzgerald, seriously?  Last summer I read This Side of Paradise and I liked it so much more than I thought I would.  And of course, there is The Great Gatsby...I still haven't talked to a single person who didn't like that one.  So, this summer I will read The Beautiful and the Damned.  I doubt I will be disappointed.
 C. S. Lewis. Is. My. Favorite.  I don't want to take up a ton of space listing everything of his that I have read, but let's just say that I've read a lot.  Can't wait to read The Great Divorce.  It has been on my list for a while.  Aslan is on the move.  I get chills everytime I think of that line (please tell me other Narnians are reading this??)
 I don't think I would have picked this book had I not heard amazing things about it for years.  Kite Runner, please don't let me down.  You have a reputation to maintain.
 Real Food by Nina Planck isn't fiction.  In fact, it's very real.  Now that I am not a college student and have more time to cook meals, I am looking forward to reinvigorating my diet.  Although I already eat pretty healthily, I am looking forward to committing myself completely to non-processed foods.  So, this book is going to help get me started.
 Lastly, I am from Oxford, Ms.  I have grown up playing at William Faulkner's home, Rowan Oak.  Yet, I have only read a single novel of his (As I Lay Dying...which is incredible.  My mother is a fish.)  I am ashamed that I haven't read more, especially considering how much I loved reading As I Lay Dying.

3 comments:

  1. i loved the great divorce. here's mine: http://mashukai.blogspot.com/2011/05/summer-reading-list.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read Yann Martel's new book as well. I definitely approve of all these choices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read "The Kite Runner" right when it came out. It's one of my top favorite books of all time. But I'll probably never read it again because it was really hard (emotionally) to read. I also love "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by the same author. Very good. A must read, I think, for all women as it describes the plight of women in some parts of the world that we, as Americans, can't fathom.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...